A jury in Santa Ana, California, has found a third defendant, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, guilty of the murders of Thomas and Jackie Hawks, KD7VWJ and KD7VWK
It was a quiet afternoon on July 11 and Rich Lippucci, KI6RRQ, of Vista, California, was monitoring the Catalina Amateur Radio Association (CARA) repeater on his base station. "I heard someone come over the repeater, calling, 'Is there anybody listening?' I responded and the caller said he was on his handheld transceiver hiking around the Mt Baldy area. He was about 2.5 miles off road and resting at the wilderness San Antonio Ski Hut. A few hikers had arrived from farther in the backcountry -- one of their friends had broken an ankle and was a mile or more up the trail and they needed help." Mt Baldy is the highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountains and the highest point in Los Angeles County.
Torrent is a new consumer electronics company that focuses on maximum performance, innovative features and quality product that is safe for the environment.
Almost as soon as we heard about the Motorola Tao/Sholes/Droid, weve expected it to be the first Android smartphone to launch with Flash. The new Moto smartphone is rumored to launch on December 1, which will have it out a month before Android users can expect to see Flash support.
The Entourage Edge is the first of a new family of netbook/e-reader hybrid products. Like the Microsoft Courier, the Edge is built with dual touchscreens.
OtterBox has announced a new series of cases that are designed to fit the HTC Ozone smartphone. The new cases include the Impact and Commuter series cases that OtterBox offers for many other handsets that are on the market today.
TomTom White Pearl is a special edition GPS navigation system from the company. They are trying to make their TomTom ONE IQ Routes system more suitable as a gift item.
The Twilight of Peace is over! Space Marines line the horizon as the sun rises behind them, ready to face off against the coming swathes of Tyranids. This is the advent of a new age; the Dawn of War...again. We take a look at Relic's latest strategy opus to see if it's any good.
BigDog is probably our favorite DARPA-sponsored quadrupedal robot, capable of prancing across the terrain for 24 hours straight while carrying 400 pounds of equipment on its back.
Stories covered and special features in This Weeks edition:
01. Indianapolis hams bust cops for language on unofficial chat channel on the
two meter ham bands.
02. Desecheo Island DXpedition K5D goes QRT after making 100,000 QSO's.
03. Radio Amateurs of Canada elects new President.
04. Radio Amateurs of Canada appoints new Vice President for Field Services.
05. Get ready..expanded 40 meter band as broadcasters vacant the band in a
06. UPDATE on the third conviction in California ham radio murder case.
07. ARRL National Convention (ARRL Expo) at the Dayton HamVention will feature
Richard Garriot W5KWQ.
08. ARRL Section Manager 2009 winter Section Manager election results.
09. Intel introduces new high speed flash memory platform for laptop computers
10. The FCC fines over 600 telecommunications companies for CPNI failures.
11. FCC Chairmen Copps calls the administrations goal of wide spead broadband
a call to action.
12. Nominations are saught for the German Horkheimer prize.
13. ARRL "Train The Trainers" course debuts at the Orlando HamCation.
14. NASA solicits public for naming the new ISS module.
15. United States ARDF Championship is coming this June.
16. The FCC fines a Nebraska college radio station for lack of public file.
17. Technology news and commentary with Leo Laporte.
18. The Random Access Thought with Bill Baran, N2FNH.
19. The Ancient Amateur Archives with Bill Continelli, W2XOY.
20. KXKVI TWIAR download portal is now up and active at kxkvi.blogspot.com
21. Working Amateur Radio Satellites with AMSAT NA Bruce Paige KK5DO.
22. TWIAR QSL cards are now available! Write in for yours today.
23. The Gateway 160 Meter Net Report with Vern Jackson, WA0RCR.
24. Weekly propagation forecast with Geremy Boot, G4NJH.
25. COSPAS/SARSAT radio location service goes digital only.
26. A new French DRM receiver will be available in the United States.
27. New high temperature conductivity.
28. Radio Caroline scoops an interview with producer of "The Boat That Rocked"
29. Pennsylvania ARISS school contact gets mass media coverage.
30. KiwiSat transponder tests are now underway.
31. Arcala OH8X virtual ham radio station is now on-line.
This Week in Amateur Radio" is a weekly amateur radio audio, on the air, news
magazine/bulletin service, produced by a lot of dedicated volunteers, by
Community Video Associates, Inc., a New York State not-for-profit corporation.
The mailing address for our support fund is:
This Week in Amateur Radio Support Fund
P.O. Box 30
Sand Lake, New York 12153
Look for eight South African radio amateurs to operate as ZT2V in the CQWW WPX SSB Contest (March 29-30th). This will be one of the rare times the ZT prefix has been used, and the first time South Africa's East Cape Province (ZS2) has had a team operation entry in a major contest
InFocus is the industry pioneer in digital projection technology. Today, the company announced five new projectors for their IN2100 and IN3100 series.
Don Mackinnon, VE4DJ, has become the Director of Planning for the Manitoba Emergency Measures Organization. A lawyer and former police officer, Don has been the Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) Manitoba Section Emergency Coordinator for some 12 years and this week gave up that appointment in order to address his new EMO role
The TouchSmart tx2z isnt the first multitouch laptop out, but HPs pretty adamant that its the first multitouch consumer convertible tablet.
BEIJING (Reuters Life!) - When it comes to high-tech, China has it all. But in the country with the most Internet users in the world, some are choosing to stay in touch through an older device: the radio. Armed with antennas, transmitters and receivers, a growing number of Chinese amateur radio operators, or radio hams, send out encoded messages and simple broadcasts in the hope of getting a response. Of the world's three million amateur radio operators, up to 90,000 are in China, according to the Chinese Radio Sports Association which oversees licensing for hobbyists in the world's most populous country. The number has been steadily growing in recent years, the association said, despite mobile phones and the Internet becoming commonplace in nearly all the country. For members of the Beijing Sunny Radio Club, a perfect weekend means surfing the frequencies and talking to radio fanatics in other cities, or even other continents.
According to authorities, Washington DC residents Walter Myers, 72, and Gwendolyn Myers, 71, are accused of acting as illegal agents for Cuba.
For some completely unknown reason (alright, just one I can’t tell you yet
), I’ve spent most of last week testing and overclocking CPUs. Because of the way the magazine deadlines work in the run-up to Christmas, deadlines are tight, but the urge to get the very last MHz from a CPU still bit me pretty hard.
It’s the most powerful supercomputer on the planet - a worldwide network of PCs dedicated to researching the mysteries of protein folding. With Folding@Home, running software on your PC could help to provide therapies for diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s.
We have already heard today about the new Nikon S1000pj camera, which is the worlds first camera to feature a pico projector built inside. Recently, video of the device has surfaced to give people an idea of what the projector can do.
Epson is the #1 selling projector brand worldwide. Today the company announced their latest show throw projectors, the PowerLite 450W and PowerLite 460.